Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff[_3_] Jeff[_3_] is offline

Default Basement Drywall Glued On?

I think Dean hit the nail on the head. The drywall is in place as a fire
protection for the foam as opposed to being intented as the finished wall.
If the walls are even and secure I can't see why you couldn't just finish
them as is. If not you can put up stud walls in front of the glued on dry
wall. I would not tear off the existing drywall unless you were prepared to
remove the foam insulation as well.

Likewise Dean should think about doing the same, installing drywall or some
other fire break directly over his foam insulation before putting up 2X4
walls.

".." wrote in message
The foam helps to serve as a vapor barrier to keep condensation from
forming between the drywall and the foundation. The safety
consideration would be covering the foam, which is flammable, with
drywall.

I'm doing a project to finish part of my basement and cemented 2-inch
thick extreded foam to the cement walls. However, I'm installing a 2X4
frame before I put up drywall, because I want to be able to mount some
nice cabinets in the laundry area.

Dean

On Apr 6, 5:22 pm, wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Finishing it so that if it ever does become a
problem is a great idea.

Just FYI, I'm sure there aren't furring strips. I put in a long
finish nail every inch for two feet and hit nothing. I haven't
checked the local code, but our home inspector was great so I'm sure
he would have mentioned anything out of sorts.

I definitely don't WANT to pull it off, but I guess I'd rather pull it
off now than 5 years from now. Overall, it feels solid. There are a
two corners that have come loose a little but they are in out-of-the-
way places that won't be exposed after I frame it.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond. I truly appreciate it!