Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles John Stumbles is offline

Default Using flexible hoses to gas water heater?

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 11:35:07 -0700, Tournifreak wrote:

Out of interest, *why* are flexible water hoses absolutely prohibited
for gas connections? As Tim said, they can easily handle the pressure.
Except in the event of a fire, they could easily handle the
temperature too... Ah, perhaps I've just answered my own question...?
Jon.

Because they're not approved for gas (specifically natural gas in this
case). *Any* fitting not approved for gas is prohibited. It's regulation
mumblesomething or other/mumble in the Gas Safety Installation & Use
Regs.

As for suitability for the purpose, garden hose would probably also do to
convey gas, but there are various possible failure modes which would
cause danger such as the material perishing over time or under the
influence of stuff in the gas, or heat etc. Basically the legal position is
a presumtion of un-safety unless proved and certified otherwise.

--
John Stumbles

I can't stand intolerance