Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Using flexible hoses to gas water heater?

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 11:35:07 -0700 (PDT), Tournifreak
wrote:

On 7 Apr, 19:00, John Stumbles wrote:
On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 16:45:32 +0000, T i m wrote:
Hi All,

I'm replacing our own Main Avon multipoint water heater with a newer
Main Medway jobby.

So, I can either move them all in soldered copper, use compression
copper fittings or for the water at least use flexible tap connectors?
(Can they also be used for gas out of interest .. considering much
gas plumbing is in plastic these days (in the road at least!)) ;-)

They're absolutely prohibited for gas use. To be honest it really doesn't
sound as if you have the competence to do this job if you're asking
questions like this. I suggest you get in a qualified (i.e. CORGI) fitter
to ensure the gas pipework, ventilation and flueing are sound. They may be
happy for you to DIY non-gas parts of the work but if it were me I'd want
to be involved from the outset rather than asked to come in and sign off
someone else's work.

--
John Stumbles

Out of interest, *why* are flexible water hoses absolutely prohibited
for gas connections? As Tim said, they can easily handle the pressure.
Except in the event of a fire, they could easily handle the
temperature too... Ah, perhaps I've just answered my own question...?
Jon.

The plastic pipe bringing gas into my house (above ground) doesn't
look that special Jon?

I agree the fire thing is the most likely reason.

I was also half expecting a "yes you can but you have to use a
BS1234/Z fireproof one" as gear seems to move at such a rate these
days.

All the best ..

T i m