Posted to rec.woodworking
JGS JGS is offline

Default Latex Paint - Tacky/Sticky finish days after painting - Solutions?

I think what you are seeing is "blocking". Very common with latex paint.
Some people have reported having the problem for as long as five years.
As paint can take up to a month to cure (not just dry) you might want to
wait that long before you give up and strip or refinish the item. Sorry, JG

"schooner" wrote in message
I painted a birch plywood desk work surface with latex CIL SMART3 WASH &
WEAR Kitchen & Bath paint http://www.cil.ca/en/brands_smart.html (at the
suggestion of the HD paint guy) as he said it would give a durable washable
finish. The surface was first lightly sanded and primed with Kilz2 and
then two coats of black latex.

The issue I am having is that the paint surface seems to remain
tacky/sticky when items are placed on it then moved later. The surface is
dry to the touch but items do stick after a few minutes. From reading I
understand this may be an issue with latex paints and known as blocking.
It has only been 3 days since the final coat was put on so perhaps it is
just an issue of waiting longer for drying?

Is there anything I can do to get rid of or reduce this beyond repainting?
Will it go away after a week or so or will it remain for the live of the
paint? What about waxing or using talcum? Since the is a semigloss black
finish I wonder if talcum would cause a mess. For wax what would be the
bets to use?

Any other suggestions?