Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Latex Paint - Tacky/Sticky finish days after painting - Solutions?

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 10:01:28 +0000, schooner wrote:

The issue I am having is that the paint surface seems to remain
tacky/sticky when items are placed on it then moved later.

Despite what others have said, the tackiness NEVER goes away. It
just
takes longer and longer for items to stick. I've got some storage
cabinets that are about 10 years old and if I leave something
sitting
on them for a month or more they stick.

Depends on the quality of the paint. If it's decent quality
non-blocking latex then the tackiness does go away after a while.

My suggestion would be a barrier coat of dewaxed shellac and then
poly or varnish over that. If you use super blonde shellac and
water
based poly it shouldn't change the color much.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)