Posted to rec.woodworking
schooner schooner is offline

Default Latex Paint - Tacky/Sticky finish days after painting - Solutions?

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
schooner wrote:
I painted a birch plywood desk work surface with latex CIL SMART3
WASH & WEAR Kitchen & Bath paint
http://www.cil.ca/en/brands_smart.html (at the suggestion of the HD
paint guy) as he said it would give a durable washable finish. The
surface was first lightly sanded and primed with Kilz2 and then two
coats of black latex.

The issue I am having is that the paint surface seems to remain
tacky/sticky when items are placed on it then moved later. The
surface is dry to the touch but items do stick after a few minutes.
From reading I understand this may be an issue with latex paints and
known as blocking. It has only been 3 days since the final coat was
put on so perhaps it is just an issue of waiting longer for drying?

Is there anything I can do to get rid of or reduce this beyond
repainting? Will it go away after a week or so or will it remain for
the live of the paint? What about waxing or using talcum? Since the
is a semigloss black finish I wonder if talcum would cause a mess.
For wax what would be the bets to use?

Any other suggestions?

It may or may not go away. Give it a couple of weeks and see what
happens. Looking at the paint you used, it's from Imperial Chemical
Industries, it's got Teflon and ceramic microspheres, it's won several
awards, so I don't think that the quality of the paint per se is the
issue. Was the piece above 70F and the humidity below 50% when you
painted? If it wasn't, then try warming the room and keeping it warm
for a week or so. May be too late but it won't hurt anything.

If you decide to try waxing it, Butchers Wax and Johnson Wax are both
good, silicone-free products with a long track record. If you can't
find either of those, go down to the local bowling alley and ask them
what they use and where to get it and it will probably be OK.

If you want a quick and permanent fix, find a paint store (not a store
that sells paint, but one where paint is their primary business) that
has a good brand of waterborne polyurethane, get some mixed in the
color you like, and overcoat with that. Should be able to get several
coats on in a day and the next day it should be ready to use. Make
sure you tell them what you are about so that you get the right primer
and sealcoat.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Thanks. The temp was around 68-70F, was painted in my basement which is
very dry and humidity is fairly low. I also ran the dehumidifier on full
the days they were painted and the day after as well. Perhaps I should just
keep it running full in the room with the painted surface.

From what I can see about the paint it is suppose to be good quality and
fairly durable, it may just be that it needs more drying time is all at this
point. I have a few things on it now (LCD monitor, keyboard, mouse, lamp)
as I need to use the surface but will try and keep most of it clear as long
as possible. Nothing is sticking yet to the point it is removing paint, it
just seems very tacky when anything is moved and I don't want to mark it up
if I can avoid it.