Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Latex Paint - Tacky/Sticky finish days after painting - Solutions?

schooner wrote:
I painted a birch plywood desk work surface with latex CIL SMART3
WASH & WEAR Kitchen & Bath paint
http://www.cil.ca/en/brands_smart.html (at the suggestion of the HD
paint guy) as he said it would give a durable washable finish. The
surface was first lightly sanded and primed with Kilz2 and then two
coats of black latex.

The issue I am having is that the paint surface seems to remain
tacky/sticky when items are placed on it then moved later. The
surface is dry to the touch but items do stick after a few minutes.
From reading I understand this may be an issue with latex paints and
known as blocking. It has only been 3 days since the final coat was
put on so perhaps it is just an issue of waiting longer for drying?

Is there anything I can do to get rid of or reduce this beyond
repainting? Will it go away after a week or so or will it remain for
the live of the paint? What about waxing or using talcum? Since the
is a semigloss black finish I wonder if talcum would cause a mess.
For wax what would be the bets to use?

Any other suggestions?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate