Posted to rec.woodworking
schooner schooner is offline

Default Latex Paint - Tacky/Sticky finish days after painting - Solutions?

I painted a birch plywood desk work surface with latex CIL SMART3 WASH &
WEAR Kitchen & Bath paint http://www.cil.ca/en/brands_smart.html (at the
suggestion of the HD paint guy) as he said it would give a durable washable
finish. The surface was first lightly sanded and primed with Kilz2 and then
two coats of black latex.

The issue I am having is that the paint surface seems to remain tacky/sticky
when items are placed on it then moved later. The surface is dry to the
touch but items do stick after a few minutes. From reading I understand
this may be an issue with latex paints and known as blocking. It has only
been 3 days since the final coat was put on so perhaps it is just an issue
of waiting longer for drying?

Is there anything I can do to get rid of or reduce this beyond repainting?
Will it go away after a week or so or will it remain for the live of the
paint? What about waxing or using talcum? Since the is a semigloss black
finish I wonder if talcum would cause a mess. For wax what would be the
bets to use?

Any other suggestions?