Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G. Bob G. is offline

Default Lawn tractor transmissions

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 07:46:10 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

The hydrostatice tractors are a nuisance as you have to keep your foot
on the "gas". The manual ones allow you to select 1-6 and go. As
far as durability goes I dont know. I like to daydream/think while
mowing and found that I got slower and slower on the automatic tractor
as my foot let up. I would suggest the manual and save $200 . What
didnt you like about your old mower?

==================================
Over the last 35 years I have owned only 2 Lawn Tractors...(Both
International Cub Cadets) and both with Hydrostatic drive...However on
both of mine I do not need to use either of my feet ever... Yep there
is a brake but I can not remmeber the last time I used it..my speed is
controloled by a lever on the tractors dash ..shaped like a turn
signal stalk but much more robust...push it forward you go foreard
pull it back and you stop pull it back so more and you go backwards..
Want to go faster..then just push the lever forward some more...

My son has a new Cub Cadet which does use foot pedels...to me it is a
major step backwards ...lots more work...LOL

Hydrostatic is the only transmission I will ever buy... like I said in
over 35 years of use I have NEVER had a single transmission problem..

Bob G.