Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Lawn tractor transmissions

on 3/30/2008 10:46 AM said the following:
The hydrostatice tractors are a nuisance as you have to keep your foot
on the "gas".

Just like in a car. One good thing about a hydrostatic transmission is
that when going down a hill and take your foot off the pedal, the
tractor will not run away, as it has a feature that slows it. I have 30º
hill on both sides of my driveway at the street and I don't even have to
use the brake when going down.

The manual ones allow you to select 1-6 and go. As
far as durability goes I dont know. I like to daydream/think while
mowing and found that I got slower and slower on the automatic tractor
as my foot let up. I would suggest the manual and save $200 . What
didnt you like about your old mower?

On Mar 29, 6:01 pm, Jim wrote:

Looking to purchase a consumer grade lawn tractor. My 18 year old Sears
(Murry) riding mower has manually selected gears. Many of the new
machines boast hydrostatic transmissions. Are these really any better?
Are they as durable as regular gears?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY