Posted to alt.home.repair
JKevorkian JKevorkian is offline

Default Rockwell Super 10 Motorized Saw, 34-710 value

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 08:08:36 -0800, "Rob" wrote:

I am a novice and I'm thinking about buying this saw I can't seem to find
much about it anywhere including the delta/rockwell site. It's got a big
cast table with no extentions. A 13 amp single phase motor, idea of HP.
It's in good shape, may need some reconditioning in time. Anyone have this
saw. or know anything about it?

Thanks

Rob

I believe I had 2 of these many years past. The first, with a cast iron table,
had the screws holding the motor together back out and destroy the motor. Since
the motor design was proprietary, repairing it was out of the question. I
purchased a complete used saw from my cousin that had the aluminum table on it
and changed the drive over to the iron piece and used the aluminum topped stand
as a router table..
Although the machine is listed as a belt drive, the cog-tooth belt is very tiny,
difficult to replace, and practically impossible to find. It won't hold up if
you plan on using a dado head or molding cutter for any length of time.
The coaxial tilt and raise/lower mechanism is all stamped steel and doesn't hold
a setting well unless the small adjusting dial is clamped down with a C-clamp or
such. Also, since the innards were stamped, aligning the blade with the miter
slot was an exercise in futility. The fence was mediocre as well, with front
and rear clamping, but lost its parallel setting fairly often.
The motor was listed as 1-½ HP, but that's a stretch because I could stall it
ripping 2x4s thanks to that quirky fence.
All in all, if this is what you're considering, $30 would be my best offer. It
could always be turned into a router table, or a lamp for your shop.