Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Are sunrooms considered in the square fotage of a home for real estate tax purposes?

"Phisherman" wrote

A realtor should know this and it varies to location. Any living area
that has controlled heat (and/or A/C), electrical outlets, insulation,
ceiling lights and windows would be included in the square footage. I
consider my workshop as included in the square footage, since it has
outlets, heat, A/C, finished walls, moldings and floor, although an
unfinished ceiling. A garage workshop, unfinished basement, unheated
enclosed patio, no.

Correct to a point and probably what is different, has to do with variations
in areas.

I considered my old 'enclosed porch' to be a 4th bedroom but it never was to
spec for that for VA code. It is now being refixed to a proper 3 season
sunroom (in my southerly area, that is a 4 season use room because we dont
get that cold in winter). My taxes list a 3 BR house. This room when
finished, will not have heat/AC from the main house (unless you count
opening the door) and without that, can not be counted as a 'bedroom'. Also
it's slab is 1/2 inch too low (grin). It is not counted for tax purposes as
other than porch area but is in the house plans as part of the place (so is
the screened back porch).

It will have outlets on every wall (they have to add one to a wall without
one as before it wasnt required). It will be wired so I can run a simple
portable heat or AC unit in there if I want to. I'll have to figure out
venting but we are having one kneewall put in to make that easy later for AC
venting.

Neatest thing? I get a write off next year on taxes as the new structure is
much more energy efficient than the old single paned plexiglass
construction.