Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.rural
Neon John Neon John is offline

Default Un-insulated water heater tank by woodstove!

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:25:54 -0700, Don Bruder wrote:

How about a coil of soft copper tubing attached to the rear of the
woodstove before it goes into your storage tank ( a coil like on the
back of a dehumidifer) which would transfer heat by convection rather
than radiation?

Do that and you start running into the potential for steam, which leads
to needing to deal with the related hazards that can come of it being in
an enclosed place... (Can you say boiler license, pressure vessel,
regulator valve, state inspector, and "expensive"? Sure... I knew you
could!)

Geez, I wonder how all those millions of oil, wood and coal-fired furnace water
heating loops manage to operate without a special grant of privilege from Congress?
Maybe some day some academic will do a study and figure out why Usenet seems to
attract such a concentration of dickhead-isms.

For a simple application like this, a simple water heater P-T relief valve is more
than adequate. As far as the bureaucracies go, there is no involvement until a
certain large firing rate. In Ga it is 1.5 million BTU per unit. TN's is a little
lower - can't recall exactly - but still above 1 million BTU.

John
--
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com