Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default How important are jumping jacks?

I need to do quite a lot of pavers. I am going to make a roller out of some
very thick pipe, about eight inches in diameter. I have seen mechanical
compactors used a lot in my area.

I want this base for pavers not to settle, but I don't want to rent a
jumping jack for $85 a day for very many days. I'd find and buy a used one
first.

I was just wondering if they were that necessary for paver substructure, or
if hand tamping with a short piece of 2 x 12 on the end of a 4 x 4 and going
over it with a roller would be sufficient.

Our soil is sandy, just like beach sand, with quite a bit of volcanic rock
and lava pieces in it.

Thanks.

Steve