Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are we the only ones getting screwed ?????

On Mar 29, 8:23*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*Brian wrote:
This may be off topic but here goes............

The price of home heating oil here in New Hampshire, USA just hit $3.799 a
gallon, up $1.50 since
September..... *My question is, are we the only ones getting screwed here in
the US or has the price
gone up as much in other countries around the globe ????? *I believe we're
getting it shoved up our
backsides because of George Bush's war ****ing the rest of the world off, but
that's just my
opinion... *Please, I'm not looking to start a long flaming thread here, just
interested in what
other people in other "non Bush" countries are paying...............

Thanks

Maybe it's time to step away from that SUV:

According to Environmental Attorney Robert F. Kennedy, Jr, senior
counsel for the National Resources Defense Fund:

* *If we raise fuel efficiency standards in American cars by one mile
per gallon, in one year, we would save twice the amount of oil that
could be obtained from the arctic national wildlife refuge

That's totally false. A one mile per gallon increase in avg fuel
efficiency would take decades to equal the avg estimate of what might
be in ANWR. And we don't even know how much oil there really is
there, because even very limited exploration to find out isn't
allowed. For all we know, there could be an elephant field there the
size of Saudi Arabia.

* *Raise it by 2.7 miles a gallon to eliminate all the oil imports from
Iraq and Kuwait combined

Last time I checked, Iraq's oil output was sharply curtailed and I'm
betting this number is based on some minimal amount from the last
several years, not what's there or could be produced. Funny though
that those countries get singled out among all the oil producers in
the world.

* *Raise it by 7.6 mpg, we eliminate one-hundred percent of our gulf oil
imports into this country

As a side benefit, if we don't need their oil, maybe we don't need to be
over there spreading "democracy" around.)- Hide quoted text -

Now, to suggest that just because we get our oil from somewhere else,
we can just ignore the vast oil reserves and security of the mideast
is to ignore the lessons of the last century. How much oil did
Germany and Japan have?