Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_2_] HeyBub[_2_] is offline

Default Moving a pool table

SteveB wrote:
I need to disassemble a pool table and move it 175 miles. It is a 3
piece 4 x 8 table, 7/8" thick slate, IIRC. It is about three years
old.
I figure it will evolve as I disassemble it, as I can see underneath
that bolts hold the rails on as well as the legs. It is all
hardwoods underneath for a frame, with no particleboard.

Can anyone who has moved one of these give me any pointers?

In particular:

Is the felt glued to the bed, and will I have to destroy it to get it
off? Or is it merely glued at the pockets and along the edge?

When I get the felt off the bed, how do I break the joints? By
lifting slightly, or should I score the seam with a razor knife
first? The joints are supported from underneath with 6" wide strips
of hardboard so I cannot score it from underneath. The leather ball
pockets have some staples that will have to be removed and restapled,
but no biggie there.
For transport, is it better to get two by studs and lay them so that
each sheet is supported well, and none ride on top of the other? I
would use packing blankets between the boards and slate. Or would
standing on edge and making some sort of frame be better?

The road I need to transport it on is city streets for about five
miles, Interstate for 175 miles, then city streets and a mile of dirt
road. It is not really bad, but it is not totally smooth. I will
take it easy on the rough areas.

There are no stairs or other obstructions, and it will be easy to put
two four wheel dollies under each piece to roll them from location to
trailer, then trailer to location. All the rails and legs and
undercarriage will be wrapped in blankets and packing blankets as it
has a nice wood finish on it, and I'd like to keep it that way.

I don't foresee this as a complicated thing, but wanted to hear from
anyone who's done it, and can give me some basic cautions so I don't
make basic mistakes. I am not sure of setup, and may have a
professional service set it up, and maybe recover it in green. It is
now burgundy, and I believe green is the color for a pool table.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Grand Pianos are moved thusly:

1. Remove legs on one side.
2. Tip piano to dolly on the side with no legs.
3. Remove other leg(s).
4. Transport in vertical position.
5. On arrival, reverse the process.