Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Are sunrooms considered in the square fotage of a home for realestate tax purposes?

On Mar 28, 8:00 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 28, 7:50 pm, Kompu Kid wrote:

I asked this elsewhere but no answers yet.

I am also wondering if and when a workshop gets included in the sq.
footage.

Any comments?

On Mar 27, 10:16 pm, Kompu Kid wrote:

Helo All:

My aunt is considering a sunroom for her home. She asked me to
research and find out how the county would treat the additional square
footage covered for real estate taxes.

She lives in San Jose Ca (Santa Clara county).

Thanks!

Deguza- Hide quoted text -

I asked this elsewhere but no answers yet.

I'm guessing the one place you didn't ask was the county offices of
Santa Clara.

What things gets taxed (and how) in the county of Santa Clara, CA is
probably very different from what things get taxed in (and how) in
Athens County, OH or Yates County, NY or Orleans Parish, LA..

You'll get the most accurate answer directly from those that do the
taxing.

For Yates County, NY, I know the answer. It's: Maybe.

There are three ways to determine value. The assessor uses either
replacement cost (based on square footage) or comparables. If it is a
s.f. calc, then yes. But it's at a lower rate because it's cheaper to
replace. But it also runs a separate depreciation table because it's
newer.

If the assessor uses comps, he/she will look at the overall value of
the home as it compares to other, similar homes. A sun room is part
of the calc. If you were, for example, the ONLY one with a sunroom,
it would be added to the value, but only at a partial amount. A
$10,000 sun room might only be adjusted by, say, $5000.

If it were in Yates County and it wasn't really a sunroom but a
covering for a handicapped ramp, then it wouldn't be assessed at all.
So it might depend on the design and what you call it.

In general. A. It won't have much of an impact and B. call your
assessor.