Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Code violations, including storage of gasoline outside?

On Mar 27, 2:31 pm, mm wrote:
Is there a problem storing gasoline outside 6 feet from the house in a
standard plastic gasoline container, with a pressure vent?

1) Some obnoxious neighbor must have ratted on me to the code
enforcement, and he seems to be complaining about this. I havent'
reached him by phone to learn details, but I thought it was ok. I'm
certainly not supposed to put the gasoline in my house, right?

2) He also complained about wood lying on the ground. I think he is
referring to either a) a piece of t-111 lying under my deck, which I
have ther so that I don't have to lie in the dirt, sometimes muddy,
when I crawl under the deck to get my spare key, which is buried
there.

Or b) the peices of t-111, totalling about 4x8 feet, that are on the
front patio (which is surrounded by a "privacy fence") that I put
there so that I could rebuild the motorcycle without oil on the cement
and without scratching the cement with the kickstand.

I've neve seen termite damage to t-111, evne though I do have termite
damage to my untreated fence pickets 15 feet away. Is t-111 (or even
plywood. Maybe he thought it was plywood) on the ground or the cement
some sort of violation in some places?

3) He complained about tarps, saying rats would hide under them. I
have three, all of them the cheap blue woven tarps. ONE covers the
motorcycle but doesn't reach to the ground.
Tarp TWO covers the second level of a stack of lawnmowers, to
protect them from the rain. The tarp is tucked in and only covers the
second layer. Two lawnmowers on each level, with a piece of t-111 in
between to stabilize the second.
Tarp THREE covers my first lawn mower that I would like to fix some
day. It's smaller and gets into small places, and is built as a
mulching mower, and the tarp there goes all the way to the cement.

I can't reach him on the phone so far. What is he likely complaining
about and how can I cover these things or protect the cement and still
make him happy?

Thanks

layer.

Oh, so many comments and so little time.

First off, if you think he made a complaint and no one has forwarded
it to you, maybe the CEO blew it off and didn't think it was worth the
hassle of investigating.

Don't call the guy. Call the CEO. Calling the guy is just going to
cause an argument. When you call the CEO, don't mention what you
think the guy said, just ask if it's true and let him tell you what it
says, if anything. You don't want to say anything and open a can of
worms.

While storing gasoline outside is not a code issue, it might be a HOA
issue. But the CEO doesn't enforce HOA issues. However, if you were
to store it inside, THAT would be a code issue. We require tenants to
be 10 feet from the our buildings with anything flammable, so the the
6' issue might be a 10' thing but the CEO isn't going to make a
federal case out if it because all yo have to do it pick it up and
move it.

I doubt is wood on the ground is a code issue, esp if it's under a
cover. But again, it might be a HOA issue.

Repairing your MC in your yard might be a code issue but would likely
be a HOA issue.

Storing the movers might be a legit issue.

Good luck with it.