Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default FM Radio Antenna

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:47:59 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:22:33 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

My dad needs a GOOD indoor OR outdoor FM radio antenna to recieve the Gospel
station he likes. It comes in clear in the car even in the garage but no
luck in the house. Have tried the wire antenna,35 dollar radioshack indoor
antenna,rabbitears,rooftop TV antenna,ect. He is trying to get it on his
Fisher Reciever...He used to get a similar station on satellite but it is no
longer available.Southern gospel stations are hard to come by here in
Maine...LOL...There is only one....

Any thoughts or ideas????

I forgot to mention.
You can usually get pretty good reception by tapping into a rooftop TV
antenna coax. Just add a TEE splitter in the coax. The antenna wire
goes to the one labelled IN. There are two labelled OUT. One of them
goes to the tv, the other to the FM radio. If the radio had two
screws on the back, you'll need a balun, which you can buy anwhere
they sell antenna parts, and they are just a small tubular device with
a coax fitting on one end and two wire spades on the other. You're
only looking at $10 worth of parts unless the radio is a long distance
from the tv and you need a real long cable. Your Radio Shack employee
should be able to sell you the right parts, unless the store has
idiots for employees (some of them are). Most building supply stores
like Home Depot, Manards, Lowes, etc all carry this stuff. Walmart
probably even has it.

That should work fine, considering that the FM broadcast band is a
range of frequencies just above TV channel 6.

BTW, I used to know some people around here would listen to TV channel
6 using FM radios. It's near the low end of the radio's tuning range.
This would likely not work with a modern radio with digital tuning.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message
from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive,
please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will
demonstrate."