Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Stock Bill Stock is offline

Default Wiring 3 Way lights where two single ight exist now

"RBM" wrote in message

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
-Free...
Old question,m I'm finally getting around to:

OK, I have two lights, two switches, both lights are on the same fuse. It
looks like both junction boxes have other circuits running off them,
which I think is the same fuse.

Plan is to run three way wire between the two lights white/red to socket,
blacks connected. Then run two way wire to the 1st switch white (black
tape) to red (socket) black to black. Then run three way wire bewtween
the two 3 way switches (white wire taped).

But I'm not sure if it matters which socket I run the switch to, since
they both have other circuits running off them. Can't I just run my other
circuits off the black/white in either junction box as it is now? This is
where it gets a little confusing.

TIA

Leave all the existing wiring the way it is. Run three wires between the
two switches. At one switch location disconnect and tape the existing
wires that were on the switch. Disconnect and tape the two wires that were
on that switch's light. At the first switch location you can remove the
existing single pole switch and now wire both three way switches to
control that one light. Last, you need to run a two wire cable from one
light to the second

OK, this is the same as the end run wiring diagrams I've seen. This makes
sense, since you're switching the circuit as opposed to the individual
lights. The problem is that I don't have access to the wiring and I would
have to drill about 10 joists to use your method. I was hoping to use the
existing two wire cable between the lights to pull the new 3 wire cable
between the lights. So is there some reason I can't use the original method
other than it simply won't work?

Thanks.