Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Marketing. Was Labour Cost for Fence Works etc

The Medway Handyman wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message ...
So, yes, I know I should be charging more, but getting it is more difficult.

You have to consider how your customers are seeing you. How you
present your 'brand'. They obviously see you as a cheap odd job man
- not as a professional handyman. Thats why they are surprised at
your prices.

Think about this Alan. You recently spent £400 on a Festool drill driver
when you could have bought a Challenge Extreeme from Argos for £30.

A small proportion of the members of this group would consider the Festool
good value. I suspect the majority would consider it too expensive.

The Festool drill is worth every penny IMO. It really is good.

You are getting Challenge Extreeme customers & quoting Makita prices.
Its all about 'positioning'. Andy Hall seems to know a thing or two about
this and may be along shortly - he can probably explain it better that I.

Yes, I know. I'm working on my new advert in the next few days, I think
I'll be targetting bathrooms and kitchens, both of which I am good at,
and I like doing them.
The trouble with being a 'handyman', is that people expect you to be
cheap, (well, thats what I've found). Saying you are a kitchen fitter
immediately makes you stand out a little, but obviously narrows the
market.
I dont really advertise, but will be making an effort over the next
weeks, as, TBH, I'm probably below minimum wage now, but, on the up
side, I have a lot of good kit that I didnt have 6 months ago, so can
tackle jobs that I couldnt do then.
All of my profit goes back into new kit etc, I do expect to see some
profit back in future years, but at the moment, it is a struggle.
Ta
Alan.