Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Mike Marlow Mike Marlow is offline

Default Mitering Large Width Boards

"Jeff B" wrote in message
On Mar 24, 11:02 pm, "Bob M." wrote:
"Jeff B" wrote in message

I seem to have 2 options...1) go buy a new half decent quality table
saw or 2) lay the board flat on the miter saw, cut as much as I can
with the blade tilted 45, then flip and rotate the board to cut the
rest. While I usually look for any excuse to buy new tools, a new
table saw won't get used much after this project. (And no...I don't
know anyone I can borrow a good table saw from.)

How about option #3 - rent a table saw or miter saw.

Thanks for all of the pointers.

Renting is not really an option. There is a fair amount of mitering
work to do with these wide boards. Since I have a regular day job, I
cut a piece here and there at nite during the week and more on the
weekends. Obviously I can't rent it for a week (and pay more than
outright buying) and I don't want to rush on some Sat and feel
pressured to get it done and back to the rental store. I usually end
up @$#%-ing it up under those rushed conditions.

HD and Sears both sell basic table saws for ~$100. (HD has a Ryobi on
sale for $99.) I know you "get what you pay for" so I'm not rushing
over to pick one up today without some research.

I would not suggest a table saw for a mitering project. A miter saw or even
a miter box is going to serve that need far better. This becomes even more
true with the cheap table saws which do not have table enough to properly
support long stock, or decent miter fences to properly align and carry a
board through the blade. You'll be spending more of that valuable time that
you don't have a lot of, just fooling with the wrong tool for the job. I
think you're asking for a lot of trouble with this approach. Not to
mention, you'd be getting a real piece of junk - not even worth the $100 you
spent.

--

-Mike-