Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Jeff B Jeff B is offline

Default Mitering Large Width Boards

On Mar 24, 6:01*pm, "tom" wrote:
In article 7e5e8a25-0311-44c4-a164-6e4b5e73cbc9
@p73g2000hsd.googlegroups.com, says...
Part of my kitchen remodeling involves cutting and mitering really
nice stained 6" wide molding boards that cover the gap between the top
of the wall cabinets and the ceiling. *They are installed vertically..
(Crown molding gets installed on top of that.) * The throat of my
compound miter saw is too small to make that cut vertically or laying
flat. *I have one of those cheap "table saws" ... its really just a
table with an old circular saw mounted underneath. *Unfortunately, it
doesn't tilt 45 for all of the corners I need to cut. *I cut the end
off of one long piece by hand with a new/good circular saw using a
fence clamped to board as a guide but that won't work on smaller
pieces. *Plus its not as accurate.

I seem to have 2 options...1) go buy a new half decent quality table
saw or 2) lay the board flat on the miter saw, cut as much as I can
with the blade tilted 45, then flip and rotate the board to cut the
rest. * While I usually look for any excuse to buy new tools, a new
table saw won't get used much after this project. *(And no...I don't
know anyone I can borrow a good table saw from.)

Has anyone used method #2 with any success?? *I want the corners to be
really tight...I don't want this to be a "caulk and putty" job! *I
think this will result in miscuts and some wasted wood but thought I
would check first.

Thanks.

--Jeff

Clamp a large speed square to flat side of the molding and cut it with a
skill saw with a fine toothed blade.- Hide quoted text -

I thought about that option. That works for long pieces where there
is enough room to clamp a guide (already done that). But there are
several pieces that will be 2"-6" (around a deep pantry cab or around
the corners of an extended center cab that juts out 2" from the
others). Not enough room for clamping.

--Jeff