Posted to alt.home.repair
gpsman gpsman is offline

Default Removed wall tiles, now can I putty over glue?

On Mar 24, 7:19 pm, lbbss wrote:
I have plaster walls in the bathroom, with chick tiles half way down
the wall. I ripped all the tiles down (very easy).

I was told that plaster is more trouble to tear down, so we decided to
scape the glue instead of ripping down the plaster and re-drywalling
and putting and doing corners. It took me at least 5 hours to
scrape it down.
Or is it best to cut that section out. I was told that the
transition between plaster and drywall will end up cracking, sooner or
later.

Depends on how you intend to use it. If as a shower, in 5 hours you
probably could have demo'd the plaster and installed "mortarboard".

Generally, the procedure is to re-tile over the wallboard/plaster
transition, so cracking there isn't an issue.

If no shower, yeah, I think you could skim coat the old adhesive, but
you'll probably want to ensure you feather that up above the old
adhesive so there's no hard edge, but I wouldn't do it that way.

A "pro" restricted to a smaller budget would probably just apply the
new adhesive proportionately thicker where the old adhesive has been
removed to make a "more flat" wall.

The average nonprofessional, I think, is best served by creating the
"least flawed" foundation for their tile, assuming of course that you
intend to re-tile it, you didn't say.
-----

- gpsman