Posted to alt.home.repair
Grandpa Chuck Grandpa Chuck is offline

Default trash compactor

On 24 Mar 2008 01:00:51 GMT, Steve wrote:

" wrote on 23 Mar 2008 in group
alt.home.repair:

our digs are overturning getting into and generally attacking our
garbage can daily when were not home. heck they will turn it over even
empty and clean. must be their latest hobby. plus our community is
reportedly going to a single 96 gallon container picked up by machine.
i run a small business here and occasionally generate extra trash.

anyone have a compactor? are you happy? i never had one of these, but
oddly enough have room for it in the kitchen

I had a small cottage industry going for awhile replacing trash compactors
with pull-out recycle bin drawers.

Trash compactors were a solution in search of a problem because:
* They require special bags that cost a dollar or more each.

Ours doesn't. We use ordinary kitchen size plastic garbage bags and
they work fine. Of course we did buy the expensive ones for awhile
until I figured out they were the same size as the plastic kitchen
bags.

* The bags, when full, are too heavy for many people to lift.

What the heck we they putting in them that made them so heavy?

* The stuff at the bottom rots and starts stinking before the bag gets
full.

Meat and kitchen food scraps go outside in our garbage can which has a
latch on the lid.

If you have a small family, it might take several weeks to fill it
up.

We automatically empty ours every week the night before garbage
pickup.

* They squeeze paper pretty well, but don't really compact that much. They
won't crush bottles or heavy cans. They just squish normal cans a little.

All of those things belong in the recycling bin.

* Modern recycling programs have removed all the really compactable stuff
from the trash stream.

Really? We are not allowed to put Styrofoam such as eggs cartons in
to the recycling bin. We do manage to fill ours at least half full
every week. Things such as prescription bottles go into it because of
privacy concerns.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Please grant me:
the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
the courage to change the one that I can
the wisdom to know that it is me