Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default banging steam pipe

On Mar 24, 6:10*pm, "New & Improved - N/F John"
wrote:
I just drained a radiator to eliminate banging, but it didn't work as well
as I hoped. *I also removed the valve and put some teflon around the stem,
because it leaked I see from a stain.

There was another radiator on this extension on the floor below, but it was
removed years ago. *I haven't checked the valve. *It's now inside a small
cabinet. *I have to move it.

Could the pipe be clogged? *The pipe system is undoubtably 70 years old.
Any thoughts?

John

Is it one pipe steam, if so it should never have water in it, most
likely it is not pitched to drain the water. It should not be level
but pitched to the pipe, check with a level to be sure its not level.