Posted to alt.home.repair
lbbss lbbss is offline

Default Removed wall tiles, now can I putty over glue?

I have plaster walls in the bathroom, with chick tiles half way down
the wall. I ripped all the tiles down (very easy). Then scraped
the glue off the hard glue with chisel. Also, some of the section
with heating gun. But for some reason, towards the bottom, they
putt a lot more glue and its harder to scrape off. Just curious if I
could just putty over it? Or will the putty peal off eventually?
The glue is hard as rock and porous.

I was told that plaster is more trouble to tear down, so we decided to
scape the glue instead of ripping down the plaster and re-drywalling
and putting and doing corners. It took me at least 5 hours to
scrape it down. But I still have a section about 6 sq ft total that
has lost of glue. I would like to put putty (plaster) over it if I
can. Or is it best to cut that section out. I was told that the
transition between plaster and drywall will end up cracking, sooner or
later. Any advise?