Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

Default Mitering Large Width Boards

In article 7e5e8a25-0311-44c4-a164-6e4b5e73cbc9
@p73g2000hsd.googlegroups.com, says...
Part of my kitchen remodeling involves cutting and mitering really
nice stained 6" wide molding boards that cover the gap between the top
of the wall cabinets and the ceiling. They are installed vertically.
(Crown molding gets installed on top of that.) The throat of my
compound miter saw is too small to make that cut vertically or laying
flat. I have one of those cheap "table saws" ... its really just a
table with an old circular saw mounted underneath. Unfortunately, it
doesn't tilt 45 for all of the corners I need to cut. I cut the end
off of one long piece by hand with a new/good circular saw using a
fence clamped to board as a guide but that won't work on smaller
pieces. Plus its not as accurate.

I seem to have 2 options...1) go buy a new half decent quality table
saw or 2) lay the board flat on the miter saw, cut as much as I can
with the blade tilted 45, then flip and rotate the board to cut the
rest. While I usually look for any excuse to buy new tools, a new
table saw won't get used much after this project. (And no...I don't
know anyone I can borrow a good table saw from.)

Has anyone used method #2 with any success?? I want the corners to be
really tight...I don't want this to be a "caulk and putty" job! I
think this will result in miscuts and some wasted wood but thought I
would check first.

Thanks.

--Jeff

Clamp a large speed square to flat side of the molding and cut it with a
skill saw with a fine toothed blade.