Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Mitering Large Width Boards

Jeff B wrote:
Part of my kitchen remodeling involves cutting and mitering really
nice stained 6" wide molding boards that cover the gap between the top
of the wall cabinets and the ceiling. They are installed vertically.

I seem to have 2 options...1) go buy a new half decent quality table
saw or 2) lay the board flat on the miter saw, cut as much as I can
with the blade tilted 45, then flip and rotate the board to cut the
rest. ...

How well this will work will depend mostly on how good your saw is and
how well you can manipulate it--I've done things like that, but it isn't
much fun. Of course, if you don't have a tremendous number to cut and
have time, it's "only" time...

(3) A good miter saw instead of a table saw would be far better for this
job (the work stays still instead of moving)...

(4) Make the cut approximate w/ a guide on either the table saw or the
miter saw or even a hand saw w/ a clamp guide and use a shooting board
and sharp block plane to clean up the joint. This is surprisingly quick
and easy.