Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default trash compactor

on 3/23/2008 6:58 PM said the following:
our digs are overturning getting into and generally attacking our
garbage can daily when were not home. heck they will turn it over even
empty and clean. must be their latest hobby. plus our community is
reportedly going to a single 96 gallon container picked up by machine.
i run a small business here and occasionally generate extra trash.

anyone have a compactor? are you happy? i never had one of these, but
oddly enough have room for it in the kitchen

I have had the same Kenmore compactor in my kitchen for 20+ years. It
has never required repair.
I have used a trash compactor for over 40 years, starting with a Kenmore
portable unit when I lived in an apartment.
In answer to some other comments.
We used to use the $.50 compactor bags sold by Sears for years. A year
or so ago when we ran out of the special bags, we used a Glad ForceFlex
kitchen bag as a temporary solution. It worked so well that we continued
to use them, and still use them today. They very rarely tear, and if
they do, it is near the top where the bag stretches over the container
sides.
We recycle glass and plastic, so they don't go into the compactor,
thereby reducing the risk of bag tearing (glass used to tear the special
bags too).
When we dump messy food remains into the compactor, we place newspaper
over the mess, to keep the ram clean.
The trash in our compactor lasts about a week. There is no noticeable
smell, probably due to the newspaper covering the messy stuff .
The compactors come with a special spray can attachment that
automatically sprays a dose into the container when the door is closed,
but we haven't used them for years and a spray of Odo-Ban or Febreze
once in a while will do the same.
The bag does get heavy, but I have no problem getting the bag out, and I
am 70.
When you get that 96 gallon trash can for the auto-load garbage trucks,
your dogs will have a hard time getting into it as the lid itself is
very heavy and about 42" off the ground..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY