Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick5 Rick5 is offline

Default bathroom floor joist rot

Hi,

I am having my bathroom remodeled (I am not doing it myself). It's already
been gutted down to the studs. I was very happy to see that almost all of
the wood behind the tub and tile is totally fine. However, there is a small
bit of rot in one corner where a stud meets joist. The bottom of the joist
is slightly rotten due to an old bathroom leak that was fixed many years
ago. That area has definitely been dry for years. The area is about two or
three inches wide. I jammed a screw driver in there and it seems that the
rest of the wood in that area is very solid. If I had to guess, I'd say 75%
of the wood in that two inch section is solid with no discoloring from
water, etc. I will point this area out to the contractor, but is this
something that will have to be replaced? The stud seems totally fine, it's
just the joist part on the bottom. Would a sister joist be appropriate in a
situation like this, or can some sort of epoxy be used to reinforce the
area?

Thanks!!

Rick