Posted to alt.home.repair
Big_Jake Big_Jake is offline

Default Two kinds of garage door springs

On Mar 22, 8:49 am, Nate Nagel wrote:
One caveat is that you have to have a decently high ceiling to use the
torsion springs. My garage door when open is only a couple inches below
the ceiling, so I'm stuck with extension springs. Which reminds me; I
fixed the springs and cables when I moved in but never added the safety
cables - I probably ought to do that. I guess I thought I'd have had
the door completely redone by now, but finances have not permitted.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Actually Nate, I just saw a garage with a low ceiling where the
torsion springs were on a bar mounted at the back of the rails,
instead of the front, pretty much even (height-wise) with the top of
the rails. Really cool, but I have never seen this type of thing on
display at a garage door place.

JK