Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The Brits are utterly Daft....

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Wed, 19 Mar 2008 00:28:11 -0700
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Im not sure that rock dust IS flammable.

Anyone?

Gunner

I think it depends on the rock type. Coal dust will blow easily.
Graphite dust will as well. Basically it has to have a carbon content
high enough to allow it to oxidize. Or be an oxidizing compound in
itself. However even though they won't burn rapidly they can still melt.
Think lava...

So granite or shale (not oil shale) dust wont burn?

If it will oxidize, it will burn. That is, if the compound will
give up an electron and recombine to form a different molecule - it
will "burn". You can do this with regular steel bar stock and enough
pure oxygen. But if you divide it fine enough (grind it) the 'dust'
will combine with atmospheric o2. You're just reversing the smelting
process :-)
Now, rock dust is another matter. Some of it may oxidize in a
vigorous manner (burn or "explode") but I don't know enough geological
chemistry to say.
OTOH, in a shale mine you might ("might") have a problem with
methane gas. Which is not good.

tschus
pyotr

Gunner

--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed