Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Two kinds of garage door springs

On 03/22/08 09:39 am JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I'm a few weeks away from buying a new single-wide garage door, manually
operated. Stopped into a showroom yesterday when I didn't really have enough
time to talk for long with the guy. He pointed out a type of spring system
I'd never seen: A coil wound around a shaft, with the whole assembly
installed along the wall above the door opening. He said "Somewhat more even
lift compared to the springs you're accustomed to, but probably not worth
the $28 difference unless you're getting an electric opener...". Then his
phone rang, and one of his installers walked in with a clipboard and a
question. It was 10 minutes before closing time, and I decided to stop back
earlier next time.

Any thoughts on this type of spring?

The Wayne-Dalton torsion spring system (it probably has a name, but I
don't recall it) in conjunction with their iDrive opener makes for a
remarkably compact spring/opener combination.

We already had "generic" torsion springs and replaced the original
opener by the "generic" iDrive opener. There were initial problems, and
they sent a new controller board under warranty. Since then, I
understand, the unit has been redesigned.

Perce