Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Two kinds of garage door springs

In article ,
"S. Barker" wrote:

The fact that you are or are not putting an opener
on it is of no value as to the type of spring system.

I agree.

One thing is for su My double-wide door is incredibly HEAVY with
only one intact torsion spring. I couldn't get the door open by myself.

The last time a spring broke it was suggested that I replace the garage
door as the original (spec home) door is extremely heavy and is
deteriorating. (It must have a high percentage of particle board as
some of it is visible and rotting away at the (often moist) bottom.

The bid says "insulated steel w/raised panels". Can I expect that door
to be lighter than the one it is replacing?
--

JR