Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Shopping for a new plastic fence

on 3/15/2008 12:53 PM DA said the following:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a new fence to replace the old rotten one. Want to go
plastic this time in hopes that it will last longer. Basically, the main
application for the fence would be to keep the dogs in. A rather small job
- 8 x 8' sections plus a gate for lawn mowers and what have you.

The plastic fences sold by HD and Lowes are usually no more than 6' high
and no more than 6' in length.
Even searching on the web doesn't seem to find any 8' long panels.
Six feet wide seems to be the maximum length, probably because of
sagging concerns.
I have an old wooden 7' high privacy fence that I want to replace with
plastic panels, leaving the 8' apart PT posts in place. I can
grandfather the posts in place to meet the 6" setback requirements that
were in effect when I installed the fence 24 years ago. If I dig up and
move the posts to accept the 6' wide panels, the grandfather clause is
gone, and I will have to move the fence 3' in from the property line.

The ones I've seen in HD and Lowes's alike seem to be put together using a
glue of sorts. Is this reliable enough?

The glue hasn't failed in any of the 15 sections of short vinyl fencing
around my IG pool and it's been there for about 5 years now.

Does anyone have a good tip for me on what to look for and what kind of
plastic fence might be better for the job? I'm planning to use a
contractor to install it, btw

Thanks!
D~

\//.