Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Two kinds of garage door springs

On Mar 22, 10:05�am, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

I'm a few weeks away from buying a new single-wide garage door, manually
operated. Stopped into a showroom yesterday when I didn't really have
enough time to talk for long with the guy. He pointed out a type of spring
system I'd never seen: A coil wound around a shaft, with the whole
assembly installed along the wall above the door opening. He said
"Somewhat more even lift compared to the springs you're accustomed to, but
probably not worth the $28 difference unless you're getting an electric
opener...". Then his phone rang, and one of his installers walked in with
a clipboard and a question. It was 10 minutes before closing time, and I
decided to stop back earlier next time.

Any thoughts on this type of spring?

Either spring system should work the same on the door opener or not. �If you
are installing the system yourself you may not want the torsion system. �One
slip while tightning the springs and you could be hit by the tightning bars
and be hirt very bad. �If being installed for you , then no problem.

i dont like torsion springs if something breaks thet are a real
hazard, regular extension springs with safety cables are my
preference. and if the system has a problem its a DIY project