Posted to alt.home.repair
S. Barker S. Barker is offline

Default Two kinds of garage door springs

commonly found on bigger doors, the 'torsion spring' system you saw is
actually a higher quality setup than the 'extension springs' you typically
see on single doors. Although, the low price difference he quoted is well
worth it in my opinion. The fact that you are or are not putting an opener
on it is of no value as to the type of spring system.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
I'm a few weeks away from buying a new single-wide garage door, manually
operated. Stopped into a showroom yesterday when I didn't really have
enough time to talk for long with the guy. He pointed out a type of spring
system I'd never seen: A coil wound around a shaft, with the whole
assembly installed along the wall above the door opening. He said
"Somewhat more even lift compared to the springs you're accustomed to, but
probably not worth the $28 difference unless you're getting an electric
opener...". Then his phone rang, and one of his installers walked in with
a clipboard and a question. It was 10 minutes before closing time, and I
decided to stop back earlier next time.

Any thoughts on this type of spring?