Posted to alt.home.repair
John Ross John Ross is offline

Default Adding a 2-wire receptacle with 12/2 wire

RBM wrote:
"John Ross" wrote in message

bud-- wrote:
RBM wrote:
"John Ross" wrote in message

RBM wrote:
"BETA-33" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message
what kind of line do you have BX 2 wire romex, K&T?

if its BX and good ground you can connect the ground to the box and
begin upgrading to all grounded outlets
----------------------

It is 2-wire (black and white) -- in a single non-metallic sheath.
don't know if that is called BX or whatever.
Use a pigtail socket and bulb to test if the box is grounded, by
touching
the wires of the socket between the hot, black wire and the box. Some
early
NM cable had an undersized ground wire that was not connected to the
box
via
grounding screw, but wrapped around the cable and clamped by the
romex
connector or pressure clamp
.
What is a "pigtail socket and bulb"?

--
John

A lamp socket with two leads attached

.
http://www.hardwareworld.com/124-Pig...t-p10KB8E.aspx

That page says it's rated 660W and 240V. I assume the 660 is a typo
for 60? But what about 240V, would that work for a regular household
outlet?

Also, in another thread, you mentioned the plug in testers were not
reliable for indicating the quality of the ground. What wattage bulb
should I use to be clear I have a quality ground? And, if I
understand, I put one wire in the receptacle's hot slot and the other
in the ground slot for this? Can that trip the breaker?

--
John

Don't worry about the wattage and voltage rating of the socket. Use a 100
watt lamp and touch one lead to the hot slot of the receptacle and the other
to the metal box. If you get a good light, you got ground

Not trying to really get on your nerves

I just want to clarify I am not the one with the metal boxes. I want
to do this without opening up the outlet. It seems like you are
describing touching the outlet screw and then the metal box. I want to
put the wire in the hot hole and the ground hole (i.e. like plugging
in something).

That picture didn't really show the wire ends, but I assumed they were
just bare wire, which I would think would be hard to insert in outlet
holes. But then you said the "leads" so maybe I misunderstood the way
it is made. Is there some sort of metal "end" connected to the wires?
I just picture a thin wire not making contact easily or maybe even
arcing in a big hole. Thanks.

--
John