Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default OT - Lead found in popular Hannah Montana items

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 23:42:00 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
It is happening again...why does this not surprise me.

From a consumer standpoint, how does one protect yourself from tainted
goods?

This applies to Chinese tools also.

TMT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- High levels of lead were found in various
items branded with Disney's (DIS, Fortune 500) popular Hannah Montana
character, the Center for Environmental Health said Tuesday.

Did you hear that there is exactly ONE inspector for ALL toys
for the ENTIRE US at the CSPC (Consumer Products Safety
Commission)? Just ONE overburdened guy who has to check out
EVERY kind of toy sold in the whole US? Totally INCREDIBLE!
No WONDER we can't catch this stuff before it is on the store
shelves.

Jon

Most children have at least one parent that is both more capable and
more motivated than the government to supervise them, nurture them and
keep objects and substances of unknown provenance out of their
mouths.

Thus far it is still legal to take a daughter or granddaughter fishing
for brightly-colored feisty sunfish, lead sinkers and all. Good
parents don't let the kids chew the sinkers.

It'll be awhile before the gummint has enough inspectors to visit
every dock on each of MN's 10,000 lakes to put a stop to the
excitement of little girls catching sunnies off those docks.

When they do come, I hope they are able to instruct on how to lash an
approved pebble to an approved bobbber with good knots using
bio-degradable line, after the worm has been properly tested and
approved for nutritional value in case the kid decides to eat it.