Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default cordless drill opinion

"ransley" wrote in message
On Mar 21, 5:57 am, "RBM" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

On Mar 20, 3:54 pm, "RBM" wrote:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

.. .

"RBM" wrote :

"bonniejean" wrote in message
.
..
On Mar 20, 1:09 pm, Molly Brown wrote:
On Mar 20, 9:23 am, bonniejean wrote:

I'm in the market for an 18V cordless drill. I was looking
athttp://tinyurl.com/2g9bklandwas wondering if anyone has it and
could give me their opinion.

Thanks,
bonnie jean

Have you thought about getting one with a hammer feature for
drilling into concrete, just in case you have to.

That would be real nice but I am interested in this particular drill
because of it's weight (light) and the fast charging battery. DeWalt
doesn't make one like that. Makita does but it doesn't seem to get
as
good reviews as the Milwaukee. I have recurring carpel tunnel and a
regular weight drill makes my wrist ache.

I also have a small hand, even for a woman. In reading customer
reviews about this drill, women seem to really like it's small
outline. (My boyfriend bought me a "ladies" Glock 45 for my
birthday.
Very very comfortable.)

But I don't think they make this "version" with the hammer feature.
Actually they don't make any other tools that will use this battery.
That is a negative but Milwaukee says they will be coming soon.

I knew a bunch of you guys would start in about this brand vs that
brand. ..makes me smile. But I'm not that much into the finer
points.
Now if you wanted to talk about knitting...

bonnie

As an electrician, all my power tools used to be Milwaukee, as they
were the standard in the industry... Then they became crap... I use
mostly Dewalt now.. and they're pretty much crap too, but hey, there
are only so many companies to choose from. Regardless of the make, I
prefer 14 volt tools, as they have pretty much the same power as 18
volts, but are lighter and more manuverable. I just replaced one of
my
crap Dewalt driver drills with a model DC730, which, despite being
crap, is really nice and small and light, certainly worth looking
into

aren't the lithium powered drills lighter for the same or even higher
voltages? And they have the useful benefit of not losing charge in
storage
for up to 6 months,for those who only use them sporadically.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Sure, but as yet they don't seem to have them for all the voltages. I'll
wait until Li-on is the only type available, then hopefully, they won't
cost lung to buy- Hide quoted text -

If you wait till Liion is the only type offered you wont ever buy one.

When everyone is screaming that they're the best thing since sliced
bread...
I'll buy one- Hide quoted text -

Today they are the best thing, but every so many years battery
technology gets better.

Unfortunately, despite a tremendous need, new battery technology seems
pretty slow. I use my driver drill virtually every day, and generally rotate
four batteries. The usable life, for me is about two years, which translates
to about six months per battery. It works out OK because in two years the
driver drill is toast, and I buy a new one and two additional batteries and
start over. If the Lion batteries are good for several thousand full
charges, I wouldn't have to buy the extra batteries. That's worth about $100
to me