Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default 2 or 4 Cycle Small Engines... to drain or not to drain??

On Mar 20, 6:44*pm, Joe wrote:
On Mar 20, 5:53*pm, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:

snip
Oxidation is the problem. *The stabilizers are antioxidants and
obviously removing air from the tank is a good idea. Heat and light
would also accelerate. *Gas stored in an inert sealed, preferably
metallic *system should last forever.

Don't bet on it. Some metals can catalyze the formation of cyclic
pinenes in fuel. Most old car owners are familiar with the dreaded
odor of 'Pine-Sol' in the fuel when their car is taken out of long
term storage. And jet fuel has always had a problem with bacterial
growth in storage tanks. As they say at the Subway Sandwich shop or
wherever, 'It pays to eat fresh'.

Joe

Yes, I remembered this after posting. Doubt if it is much of a
problem and point was to keep out oxygen. Metal or glass are best for
this. I get a little concerned about plastic tanks because oxygen can
permeate plastics at vastly different rates depending on plastic.