Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default Hoover Windtunnel for central vac

Just thought I would add that while I filed a complaint on the old Hoover
windtunnel central vac kit, I purchased a new one because other than the
overheating connector it was the best powerhead I've seen for a central vac.
In any case, the new version is even better. Much quieter, better hose.
All around improved.

"Art" wrote in message
I've been using a Hoover Windtunnel power head and hose with our central
vac. Although it looks like garbage, we had a very expensive Stealth
power head from Europe and a Eureka power head and the Hoover is
definitely superior on carpeting and has held up over 5 years. The
expensive Stealth unit was beautifully engineered and quiet but the
bristles were too short to get deep into the carpet and only did a
mediocre job of cleaning carpet.

In any case the Hoover is finally dying because the contacts in the handle
that accept the plug from the power head are overheating and melting the
plastic handle and burning the contacts. The interesting thing is that
Hoover was forced to recall a bunch of upright cleaners from similar
vintage for a similar problem.

I filed a complaint with the Consumer Product safety commission and
Hoover. Hoover gave me the brush off. In the mean time I ordered another
Hoover unit but I plan on putting the old one in a closet in case Hoover
is ordered to recall these too. If anyone out there has the same unit and
has had a problem, it might be a good idea to report it before some of
these units from that vintage catch fire as did the uprights.