Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rust-o-Leum Garage Floor Coating

On Mar 20, 6:30�pm, Joe wrote:
On Mar 20, 4:19�pm, mm wrote:

snip

�Could it be that this Rust-o-Leum stuff doesn't cross-link (at the

molecular level) with the garage floor's substrate? �That is my theory.

What does cross-link at the molecular level?

Cross linking is what happens between polymer chains to make them into
rubber(y) or thermoset. It has little to do with adhesion. Other
reactions or forces are at work that make one kind of stuff stick to
another.
�As Mr. Meehan points out, a dirty substrate is a guaranteed failure.
You can slop on muriatic acid all day long on a greasy floor and
nothing will stick to it when you try to paint. Some of the new water-
based epoxies like Sears don't need acid treating, but instead come
with a fairly hairy precleaner. Older solvent-based two part epoxies
are still available at Sherwin-Williams stores and others. They have
the advantage of four or more decades of proven durabiilty and
performance, but need careful planning to get the best application.
The sprinkle goodies are IMO a matter of fashion like granite
countertops. A non slid additive actually makes more sense, so ask
about such at the paint store or a good boat shop.
Regarding concerns about RustOleum products...I would use any of their
paints without a second thought. They have achieved their success in
the marketplace with top notch products for more than half a century.
I have always had good results with the brand. �HTH

Joe

concrete looks best as concrete........

all coatings fail and then you have a forever maintence issue