Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Don Ocean Don Ocean is offline

Default Most efficient water heater?

wrote:
my tankless add on was only for use when familiy is visiting, the
remainder of the time my 50 gallon high btu tank is fine.

now 7 people pile in here, and it can become a problem espically when
incoming water temperature is 40 degrees

While the Tankless water heater does have certain benefits.. What
happens in a very large home with long plumbing runs? In the Tank
heaters we run a gravity loop to insure there is hot water immediately
available at each hot water tap. We insulate hot water feeder lines to
contain the heat longer. Now the only real good method I can see for
Tankless heaters is either to have several at different locations and a
very rich plumber at the end of such endeavor or some type of powered
circulating system which is still storing hot water in advance. It
appears to me that the best bang for the dollar is a tank water heater
with full insulation. And if necessary an insulated gravity loop..
Efficient and silent!