Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Don Ocean Don Ocean is offline

Default Most efficient water heater?

Bubba wrote:
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 23:45:30 -0500, Don Ocean
wrote:

ransley wrote:
On Mar 18, 4:46 am, Don Wiss wrote:
On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Donna Ohl wrote:
I challenge you to find a water heater efficiency rating NOT in this
36-page listing for a water heater currently sold in the USA.
http://tinyurl.com/38eh4d
(long url)
http://www.gamanet.org/gama/inforeso...ntLaunch/C2AAF...
Where's the A.O. Smith Vertex model GPHE-50 that Bubba recommended?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
I saw one unit near the bottom with an Energy Factor of 70, only a few
in the 60s and most in the 50-60 range. Vertex, I have a several year
old similar AO condensing ccommercial unit but I only know its 92%
efficent or so

I am aware of no water heater approaching 92% efficiency. Way too many
losses to achieve that.. Even Boiler technology can't do that yet

AO Smith has the Vertex water heater that gets 90%
Weil-McLain has a boiler that does 98% at low temp
Bubba

Both have been proven to be fairy tales. It is all in how its measured.
I have a number of AO Smiths Mexican Vortex's out there and a number of
the same type by Rheem.. Both about the same and the damned electronics
eats the whole card when it goes. It gets even worse when you add the
electric consumption to run the ignito0r and controls. Low temperature
on the Weil-Mclain is almost 100 percent when the thermostat is off. ;-p