Posted to alt.home.repair
Molly Brown Molly Brown is offline

Default I plunged, I auged, now I'll reckon I'll rent a snake

On Mar 20, 6:29*am, Mike wrote:
I posted here yesterday about a toilet in my house that has recently
turned into a lazy flusher (upon flushing the water spins a bit, then
stops and then the water level drops, but it's not flushing like it
did even a week ago). *Someone here suggested getting an auger and I
did that. *I was hopeful that it would be the solution I needed, but
after auging and then plunging a bit more I am seeing no improvement.
(There was a little paper floating around the bowl after I pulled the
auger out.) *I'm making a few calls now to rent a snake. *I think I'd
rather try to snake it than pulling the toilet as that sounds like a
messy headache. *One place I called said they had a 100 foot snake for
$45 a day. *He said they might have a smaller one around the shop
somewhere. *I hope they do as 100 feet is likely way too long.

Anyhow, any advice for a guy about to snake his toilet? *I guess I can
plan on having some scratch marks in the bottom of the toilet bowl.

Thanks...

Mike

Have you tried snaking the vent? The vent is the pipe that comes off
the top of your roof. It is used to displace the water that goes into
the drain. The vent can be blocked by something as simple as rust
buildup or even an unlucky rat.