Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default How much cordless drill do you need for drywall?

On Mar 20, 12:19�pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"RosemontCrest" wrote in message

On Mar 19, 11:30 pm, "SteveB" wrote:

"RosemontCrest" wrote in message

On Mar 19, 10:00 pm, wrote:

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 19:06:42 -0700 (PDT), RosemontCrest

wrote:
I didn't even bother with a drywall clutch attachment. I started out
trying to use the 5-position clutch on the drill, but each stud or
ceiling joist seemed to have different densities, so that didn't work
very well. I ended up setting the Phillips bit almost all the way into
the Jacobs keyless chuck and set the clutch to the drill position.
This resulted in the screws going just far enough into the drywall to
be 'below' the surface without breaking the paper.

You get a drywall cup bit. It has the phillips in a cup so it bottoms
on the drywall when the screw is set and spins free.

Why bother when my solution worked flawlessly and produced the same
result? ;-) All kidding aside, thanks for the suggestion.

Because it gives you an excuse to visit the tool aisle .............

I never have needed an excuse to visit my local toy store, but I don't
buy the latest wiz-bang toys for which I have no need. ;-)

I like to stick with stuff that works, too, even when people "tell me what I
need and what I should have." �Even if it's the old Joe McGee ShadeTree
Fixit Shop variety. �But I do have a collection of things that I "THOUGHT I
needed or were "GOOD" ideas." �I'll usually wait around for a while for
other people to test it and tell me if it's any good. �TV is a hoot for
stuff you never knew you needed.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

It largely depends on how much you will use a tool in the future. I
bought a HF hammer drill that went thru a 6 inch slab and works fine,
may need it every few years.........

now no good if i had a big project going. but for a occasional hole
its cheaper and more convenient than renting one