Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default I plunged, I auged, now I'll reckon I'll rent a snake

Big_Jake wrote:

-snip-
STOP!

The problem is probably still in your toilet. Renting 100' snake to
clear something in the first 3-4 feet is not a good idea. The head of
the snake will either be the same size as what you have on the auger,
or will be too big to get through the trapway.

I agree-- it isn't that much work to pull the toilet which is the
most likely culprit. And if it isn't- snaking the drain sans
toilet is infinitely easier.

-snip-
Pulling the
toilet is NOT a big deal. Get a #3 wax ring to use when you re-set
the bowl.

-snip-

I'd go for the rubber one. $5 vs $2 , but easier to install- and the
re-usability factor might come in handy if we're all correct in our
assumption that one of the rugrats is sending things to the ocean via
the sewers.

Jim
[oh- and I'd pull it- then if necessary buy a snake. Handy critters
to have in the garage on a Saturday night with a house full of
company]