Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Need help Getting Rid of (Sheet Rock/Plaster) Dust in Basement

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 21:17:48 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

On Mar 19, 10:52*pm, mm wrote:

Sears shop vacs are made by Shop-vac, and painted Sears colors.

snip

Both my Sears shop vacs are made from solid molded red plastic, no
paint inside or out.

I didn't mean *literally* painted. Sorry. I meant colored
plastic.

Nothing in their catalog resembles Shop Vac
brand.

I don't know about the catalog because I went to the store.

I could be wrong...do you have any numbers to verify the
statement? Please enlighten us.

Sears has its own numbers for everything, and doesn't make reference
to its makers' numbers anywhere afaicr. But there was no doubt in my
mind it was made by Shop-Vac. All the parts were the same design and
shape as one or another Shop-vac.

Also, Wal-Mart might have had models made by Shop-vac, in Wal-mart
colors.

No two stores of the 3 or 4, Lowes, Pep Boys, Sears, and maybe
Walmoart had the same models it seemed. I don't know if that is on
purpose, but I don't think it was an accident either. There were
differences in the size of the bucket, or whatever is called the place
where the sucked up stuff goes; differences in the HP of the motor,
differences in the warranty length, and differences in what
accessories were included. So even though I spent too much time
shopping, it was probably worth it, if only because I learned
something about marketing.

Shop-Vac is made in Pennsylvania, and their customer service is great.
They sent me some small thing for free and it came only 2 to 4 days
after I called. I'm not positive that would be true if I went
through Sears, and I don't remember if Lowes or Walmart called them
Shop-vacs or if they rebranded them.

Pep-Boys called them Shop-vacs.

Interestingly, Lowes sold the simple paper replacement filters 3 to a
bag with a heavy plastic retaining ring like the one that came with my
first small Shop-vac, but Walmart sold them 2 or 3 to a bag with only
a thick rubber band. I guess almost everyone still has their plastic
ring, so the rubber band is cheaper.

HD sells Ridgid, but I think has replacment bags for Shop-vac also.

Joe